My awakenings are early and frosty. I set the alarm at six a.m. but usually I am awake earlier. I am excited, restless and my thoughts shoot through my head like a pinball. Most of my thoughts are about fishing. Do I get the maximum out of the situation? Is it correct how I do it? When is the next run? These thoughts tend to stop very fast once I am on my boat, rowing my rods out in frosty conditions during dawn. My hands are frozen, small fishes break through the surface and the sun fights its way through the mist. But the outlook to the warming sun keeps me positive and I stay patient.

I did not have to be too patient this morning and the rod fired off at 7:30 a.m. The fish took line very fast. Then it stopped. It had found an obstacle and was stuck under me. With gentle movements of the rod I could free the line and the dance began. First in short and calm movements around me. Then he swam longer distances pulling the boat across the lake. He stayed deep. I could not feel any movements of his head or tail. I got excited and feared that the hook might have already worked a bit in his mouth when he had been stuck. I could loose him any second. I did not dare to higher the pressure with my rod. It was him to lead the dance, swimming to the opposite side of the lake. A massive amount of bubbles came to the surface. He released some pressure of his swim-bladder. I started to shake and watched the line cutting through the surface in zigzag movements. I imagined his massive tail beating in the depth. I turned round and saw my lovely girl Caroline standing at the shore patiently watching the dance. The fish started to move around the boat, turning me like a carrusel. The angle of the line became flatter. He slowly came up. I could not wait to finally see him. More bubbles of him and desperate attempts to gain some line. Now it was me to lead. I positioned the net. And then I saw him the first time. He was massive and beautiful. His large tail flapped like wings of a gigantic butterfly. I increased the pressure and forced him to show more of its beauty. And with some pulling of the rod tip to the right he came left just in front of the boat and gently swam into my net. Got you! The tension of my body released and I felt the pain in my right arm. He really gave it all and asked my full attention. I rowed back and was very happy with this catch. And so was Caroline when she saw the smile on my face. The mirror carp weighed just above 40 lbs. We quickly made some photos in the water and released him. The sun had just came up and warmed the ice-cold hands. What at a start of a day.

I hope you have a good one as well.


Alexander and Caroline

PS: I weekly write blog updates in German for Korda usually online on Wednesdays. Just click on my page on the green logo with the glasses and look at the Korda page on the right side „Artikel“.



Ein Gedanke zu „Awakening“

Kommentar verfassen

Trage deine Daten unten ein oder klicke ein Icon um dich einzuloggen:

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Abmelden /  Ändern )

Google+ Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Google+-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )


Du kommentierst mit Deinem Twitter-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )


Du kommentierst mit Deinem Facebook-Konto. Abmelden /  Ändern )

Verbinde mit %s